Labor Day is just around the corner, and Texans across the state are gearing up for a long weekend of rest and relaxation. Whether you’re looking to party it up with friends or spend some quality time with family, there are plenty of ways to celebrate this national holiday. In this post, we’ll share some of our favorite Labor Day celebration ideas, including going out of town to some amazing destinations.
Host a Barbeque
There’s no better way to celebrate Labor Day than by throwing a backyard barbeque with your loved ones. If you have a pool, that is an added bonus! You can enjoy some delicious food while soaking up the sun. Make sure to have plenty of burgers, hot dogs, and other classic barbeque staples. Don’t forget the side dishes! Corn on the cob, potato salad, and coleslaw make great accompaniments.
Stock up on burgers, hot dogs, chicken, and all the fixings, and invite your friends and family over for a day of fun and feasting. Remember to pick up some cold drinks and ice cream for dessert.
Attend a Sporting Event
If you’re a sports fan, consider attending a game or match over the Labor Day weekend. There’s nothing quite like the thrill of watching your favorite player hit a home run. Even if your family isn’t into sports, they can still have a great time enjoying the abundance of snacks available at stadiums and ballparks. From hotdogs and peanuts to cotton candy and more, there’s something to satisfy everyone.
Explore the Wonders of Texas
If you’re itching for a change of scenery, why not take advantage of the long weekend by going out of town? There are plenty of amazing destinations in Texas, where you can go camping, hiking, swimming, or simply soak up the local culture and cuisine, including:
- Visit The Alamo in San Antonio: Delve into Texas’ rich history by visiting this iconic mission and battleground, and enjoy the River Walk’s vibrant restaurant and shopping scene.
- Explore Galveston Island: This coastal city offers a charming blend of historic architecture and modern attractions, including pristine beaches, a bustling pier, and the famed Moody Gardens.
- Experience the vibrant culture of Austin: Known as the “Live Music Capital of the World,” Austin offers numerous concerts, fantastic food, and stunning outdoor scenery.
- Discover the Wonders of Big Bend National Park: Nestled in the heart of West Texas; this park boasts a diverse array of wildlife and stunning geological formations. Whether you choose to camp under the stars or hike the vast network of trails, your visit to Big Bend is sure to be an unforgettable experience.
- Travel to Corpus Christi: The city offers a range of exciting activities, including visiting the world-renowned Texas State Aquarium, exploring the breathtaking Padre Island National Seashore, and taking a peaceful stroll through the South Texas Botanical Gardens. Don’t forget to indulge in the city’s renowned seafood restaurants and enjoy a meal with a stunning ocean view.
Take a Weekend Trip Out of State
If you’re planning a getaway for the long weekend, you’ll find a multitude of travel destinations across the country to explore. From coast to coast, there’s an abundance of options to choose from, ensuring you’ll have a memorable trip.
- Revel in New Orleans: Known for its vibrant music scene and unique blend of cultures, New Orleans is a great place to visit. Enjoy live jazz music, explore the historic French Quarter, and don’t forget to try the famous Creole cuisine.
- Visit Seattle, Washington: Known for its iconic Space Needle, Seattle offers a wealth of attractions. Don’t forget to grab a cup of coffee from the original Starbucks store and soak up the city’s unique vibe.
- Explore Nashville: Often regarded as the home of country music, Nashville boasts numerous venues like the Grand Ole Opry House, The Country Music Hall of Fame, and the historic Ryman Auditorium.
- Adventure in Arkansas: Known as the “Natural State”, Arkansas offers beautiful mountains, hot springs, and rivers to explore. Visit the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art or hike the trails in the Ozark Mountains.
- Uncover the Charm of Charleston, South Carolina: This historic city is brimming with charming cobblestone streets, horse-drawn carriages, and pastel antebellum houses.
- Immerse Yourself in the Outer Banks, North Carolina: The Outer Banks, a series of barrier islands stretching off the coast of North Carolina, offer a unique blend of rich history, diverse wildlife, and breathtaking natural beauty.
Have a Movie Marathon
For a more low-key celebration, consider having a movie marathon with your closest friends or family. Pick out a few of your favorite films, stock up on popcorn and candy, and settle in for a cozy day of binge-watching. Whether you’re a fan of classic comedies or action-packed thrillers, there’s sure to be something for everyone.
And, if you’re feeling extra creative, try setting up an outdoor theater with a projector and some comfy lawn chairs.
If you’re feeling particularly patriotic, why not dedicate your time to volunteering during Labor Day weekend? Not only is the first Friday in September National Food Bank Day, but it’s also an opportunity for you to host a food drive or lend a hand at a local Food Bank. Moreover, numerous organizations and charities organize events and programs on Labor Day, where you can contribute by serving meals or helping clean up parks and beaches in your community. Embrace the spirit of Labor Day by giving back and celebrating while making a positive impact.
Whatever you decide to do to celebrate Labor Day, make sure to spend some quality time with your loved ones and take a break from the hustle and bustle of daily life. Whether you stay close to home or go out of town, make the most of this long weekend and have fun!