Looking for a nice way to begin the Christmas festivities? This breakfast casserole is delicious and beautiful!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup of quick-cooking polenta
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) shredded Fontina, Mozzarella, or a blend
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) grated Parmesan
- 5 oz thinly-sliced cured meat, such as salami, ham, prosciutto, or ham
- 1 cup packed spinach, kale, or another leafy green (torn or chopped)
- 1/4 cup packed basil leaves, torn
- 8 large eggs
Put it together
- Heat oven to 400 degrees, rack in the center.
- Butter generously a 9×13 inch pan and put to the side.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Gradually whisk in the polenta and salt.
- Stir constantly while cooking until the polenta bubbles and pulls away from the pan (approx 3 minutes)
- Stir in milk, butter, and cheese vigorously until smooth and creamy.
- Spread the polenta onto the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Layer with meat, greens, or whatever you want.
- Use the back of a large spoon to create 8 small wells in the polenta.
- Crack the eggs inside, sprinkle with parm, and bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on how you like your eggs.
- Sprinkle with black pepper and basil.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.