Believe it or not, the weather is FINALLY getting cooler! Soon we’ll be seeing fall leaves, campfire cook-outs, and that continually popular autumn item… pumpkin spice lattes!
Chili is something my family often thinks of when the weather is better. It fills the house with rich warm aromas and warms the heart. However, this year we are going to give a different type of chili a try, and you can too!
This recipe and post comes from Well Plated.
This is one of those beautiful dump-and-go crock pot chili recipes. It’s ultra cozy and guaranteed to help you make the most of any afternoon or evening. Be it a quiet family dinner, rowdy game day party you are hosting, or simply a night when you need to tackle your to-do list with gusto, this slow cooker recipe will give you reprieve.
Since the chili isn’t spicy, if you’d like it to have a bit of a kick, I recommend adding a few jalapeno slices too.
If you like your chili on the thick and hearty side, I recommend waiting to add most of the chicken stock until the end. You can always thin it out later, but the reverse is much trickier.
Cheesy Crockpot White Chicken Chili. Not too spicy with TONS of flavor. Healthy, easy recipe, and your slow cooker does all the work!
YIELD: 6 servings | PREP TIME: 15 minutes | COOK TIME: 2 to 3 hours (on high); 4 to 6 hours (on low) | TOTAL TIME: 2 to 3 hours (on high); 4 to 6 hours (on low)
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 to 3 breasts)
- 4 cups (32 ounces) low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 (15-ounce) cans reduced-sodium white beans, such as white kidney beans, cannellini, or Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (4.5-ounce) cans diced green chiles
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small (or 1/2 large) yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Fresh lime wedges
- For serving (the toppings add important flavor, so LOAD IT UP!): diced jalapeno, diced avocado, nonfat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips
- Place chicken in the bottom of a 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Top with the chicken broth, white beans, green chilies, garlic, onion, cumin, oregano, salt, and cayenne. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or high for 2 to 4 hours, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken breasts to a plate. Once cool enough to handle, shred and set aside.
- With an immersion blender, puree a portion of the chili to thicken it, leaving some of the beans whole. (You can also transfer a few ladlefuls of the chili to a food processor and roughly blend, then stir the blended portion back into the chili.) Stir in the shredded chicken and cilantro. Portion into bowls and top with a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Add any other desired toppings and enjoy.